It’s Round 16, and in our latest AFL podcast, we look at absolutely everything! Reviews, previews, drawn games, coaches, politics… it’s a free for all.
In this episode of The Protected Zone, Eddy Jay and Lintang Enam discuss:
- The great matches from Round 15, including the first draw of 2017 – Greater Western Sydney and Geelong – a point kicked after the siren by Tom Hawkins. Greater Western Sydney has their star player, Jonathan Patton, off the ground in the final five minutes of the game, due to a poor rotation. Did it cost them the game? We got quite a few tips right, including Lintang Enam confidently choosing Brisbane over Essendon. Noone else in the media got this right! But Lintang did. Listen to our Round 15 podcast below to see how right we were.
- In the Melbourne–Sydney game, Melbourne’s Tomas Bugg punched Sydney’s Callum Mills in the chin and was suspended for six games. It was almost like seeing a sniper in action during the Sarajevo war in the 1990s. Should the AFL introduce the red card, or a send-off rule? Eddy Jay says yes, Lintang Enam is not so sure.
- Why are so many teams wearing predominantly yellow jumpers? West Coast, Adelaide and the ‘real deal’ Richmond all wore jumpers that looked very similar. They are lucky they weren’t all playing in the same game.
- Essendon have fallen asleep as the wheel. What can be done? Does Dyson Heppell need a fresh haircut? We are sure the long hair is slowing down Essendon’s best player, due to aerodynamic wind resistance. We reckon wind resistance in long-sleeve jumpers cost Carlton the match against Adelaide.
- Coaches. Buckley will go, but how should he be replaced? Should Brad Scott and Buckley do a direct swap? Should the Australian Green‘s leader, Richard Di Natale become the Collingwood coach? He was a successful player in the VFA, so why not? Di Natale and Buckley in a direct swap, with Buckley becoming the head of the Australian Greens.
- The Liberal Party is still deep in leadership turmoil. Should Malcolm Turnbull become an AFL coach? Nope.
- We preview the big games of Round 16 – Adelaide against Western Bulldogs will be a beauty. Which of these two under-performing teams will under-perform the least?
- We finish up with a new team song for Brisbane. Their current song is the French national anthem, so we’re swapping like-for-like, and giving them a new national anthem to sing along to. One for the comrades.